منتديات قصيمي نت

منتديات قصيمي نت (http://www.qassimy.com/vb/index.php)
-   قسم اللغة الانجليزية واللغات الأجنبية (http://www.qassimy.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Letter writing in English Language (http://www.qassimy.com/vb/showthread.php?t=763679)

حسن خليل 23-10-22 10:36 AM

Letter writing in English Language

Ever wondered how the practice of writing letters came into being? Letters were one of the earliest forms of passing communication across to family and friends, and it has continued to exist since then. Letter writing is no mere ornamental accomplishment. Even today, letter writing has been thought of as a necessary skill that every individual should acquire.

This article will take you through the following topics

What Is Letter Writing?
Different Types Of Letters
Types Of Letters Examples
Faq On Letter Writing And Its Types

حسن خليل 23-10-22 10:39 AM

رد: Letter writing in English Language

What is Letter Writing?
Letter Writing has been deemed as one of the most useful forms learnt and used for various reasons. There are several kinds of letters, each of which has its own form and style. However, there are certain parts of the letter which remain the same. They include:

Sender’s address
Date
Greeting or Salutation
Body of the Letter
Subscription
Signature
Sender’s Address
The writer’s complete postal address has to be mentioned at the beginning of the letter on the left-hand side of the paper. This lets the receiver know where you wrote the letter from.

Date
The date is written just below the sender’s address, and It lets the recipient know when exactly the letter was written. The date may be written in any of the following ways:

4th July 2005

July 4, 2005

4/6/2005

4-6-2005

Greeting or Salutation
The Salutation depends on the relationship between the sender and the receiver.

To members of your family and friends, it could be Dear Father, My Dearest Friend, Dear Uncle, Dear Diana, etc.
To Business people or any officer of higher rank, it could be Dear Sir, Dear Sirs, Sir/Ma’am, etc

حسن خليل 23-10-22 10:42 AM

Body of the Letter
The message that you want to convey is stated in the body of the letter. The style, however, depends on the type of letter you are writing. The style of a friendly letter differs completely from that of a business letter or an official letter, but there are certain points that apply to both formal letters and informal letters.

Generally, when you draft the body of your letter, see to that you divide it into short paragraphs, according to the change in the subject matter. Use simple and direct language that is easy to comprehend. Put down all your points in a logical order. Mind your punctuation; incorrect punctuation will alter the meaning of the sentence completely.

Subscription
The subscription helps you end the letter in a polite and courteous manner. The subscriptions change according to the type of letter you are writing. It can be written as Yours faithfully, Yours lovingly, Yours sincerely, With love, etc.

Signature
The signature or the name of the writer should be written just before the subscription.

حسن خليل 23-10-22 10:44 AM

Different Types of Letters
Letters can be classified into two main types according to the purpose of the letter. Informal Letters, also known as Social Letters, include Friendly Letters and Notes of Invitations.

Formal Letters, also known as Business Letters, include Letters of Application, Letters to Higher Authorities, and Letters to Newspapers.

Informal Letter
Letters to friends and family can be written in a conversational style. They are just a composition of spontaneous thoughts, and they are easy and personal. When writing an informal letter, you are free to use colloquial language, which would be quite out of place in a formal letter. This does not mean that you can pen down random thoughts that are totally disconnected and make no sense. Wrong spelling, punctuation and grammar are not allowed even though the letter is informal and personal.

An informal letter can be written by following a basic format that includes the sender’s address, date, greeting, body of the letter, subscription and signature. To know more about how to write an informal letter, visit Informal Letter Format.

Formal Letter
Formal letters or Business letters should be clear and concise. You should always remember that formal letters are written to bring important information into consideration, so you should always take care to draft the letter carefully by providing only the necessary information.

The language used in formal letters is a lot more professional than informal letters. The format of formal letters is the same as explained above, with a few additions, viz., ‘the Receiver’s Address’, ‘Subject’ and ‘Signature’. Check out Formal Letter Writing in English for more information on formal letters.

حسن خليل 23-10-22 10:47 AM

Types of Letters Examples
Sample Informal Letter – Letter to a friend in reply to her about planning a trip together
16/65, Martins Castle

DB Road

Hyderabad 500023

20/05/2020

Dearest Caro,

I was happy to see your letter, and I loved your idea. I have been wanting to go on a trip with you for a long time, and I think both of us can finally make time to plan and make it happen.

I have a list of places that I thought would be fun to visit. I also do have a list of things I would like to do on our trip. I am too scared of heights, and I know you are too, but I have always wanted to try out bungee jumping with you. Let me know what you think about it. We can also find affordable and beautiful places to stay, and I am sure we can chart it all out. I cannot wait to go on this adventure with you. I know it is a secret to be kept since it is going to be just us, and that makes it all the more exciting. I know for sure that it is going to be worth it too.

I will make sure that I meet you next weekend and make plans for the trip. It would definitely be difficult to get our parents to allow us on this trip, but let’s try hard and make this work. See you soon.

Love,

Rose

حسن خليل 23-10-22 10:50 AM

Sample Formal Letter – Letter of Application
3, Old Gate

Nagpur 440003

20th April, 2018

The Principal

Taurina High School

Mumbai 500043

Subject: Application for the post of English Teacher

Dear Sir,

I am applying for the position of English Teacher in your organization with reference to the advertisement on The Indian Express dated 18/04/2018. I have great interest in this position and would highly appreciate it if you could consider my application.

I have completed my Post Graduation in English and have experience of working as a High School English Teacher for two years. In my teaching experience, I have come across various challenging situations with kids and parents, and I have learnt to handle all of them well. I have enjoyed connecting with the children and being a part of their growth and development as considerate and intelligent individuals.

I have attached my resume and experience certificate for your kind perusal and hope to hear from you in this regard.

Yours faithfully,

SEAN ALEXANDER

حسن خليل 23-10-22 10:54 AM

Letter to your friend about your school

School life can be said to be one of the best and worst times of your life. School is the place where you make your first set of friends, and most probably, these friends stay together for a lifetime. This article provides you with a few sample letters that you can use as a reference when you are asked to write letters to your friends about your school.

Letter to your friend about your new school
Letter to your friend about how miss being in school

Letter to your friend about your experience in your new school
20C, Teachers Colony,

Kailash Nagar

Salem – 636003

1st July, 2021

Dearest Trisha,

Hope this letter of mine finds you well. I have been missing you a lot these past few days, and I thought I could write to you.

How is school? How is everyone there? School, for me, has been a little difficult without all of you with me. The students here are so much more different than I thought they’d be. I have not made a lot of friends yet. There is just this one girl I talk to. Her name is Priya. She travels with me everyday. That is how we got to know each other. She keeps me company all the time.

The teachers here are good. They are knowledgeable, and they conduct a lot of activities. I particularly like my English teacher. She is so much fun to be with and she is very caring. She checks on me every now and then to make sure I am feeling comfortable. Priya and my English teacher are the only go-to people I have here.

Though we are not together, it is a huge relief that we keep in touch. I cannot wait to meet you. Write to me when you are free. Will be waiting for your letter.

Your loving friend,

Samyuktha

حسن خليل 23-10-22 10:58 AM

Letter to your friend about how you miss being in school
45A, PSV Gardens

T Nagar

Chennai – 600056

Dear Christo,

I am so glad that I found time to write to you. I have been wanting to get in touch with you for some time now. How are you? Hope everyone at home is fine.

I was thinking about our time in school together, how we waited to meet each other, how we didn’t finish talking no matter how long we spoke, how we bunked classes together and how we used to do crazy things and escape without getting caught. I miss you and I miss being able to go to school everyday. School was fun when we were together. I bet not much has changed since we left school.

Did you know that our school is co-ed now? Gone are the days when we used to reign the corridors like we were the rulers of the whole campus. I heard from one of our juniors that they are planning an alumni meet next month. I hope both of us can make it and spend some time together like in old times.

Waiting to hear from you.

Love,

Dan

حسن خليل 23-10-22 11:04 AM

Formal Letter Writing in English - Definition, Format and Writing Samples

The article elaborates on the format of writing a formal letter, the definition and structure of a formal letter, along with sample formal letters for your reference. Formal Letters are professional and need to be drafted carefully. The following topics will help you understand how to write a formal letter in the most effective manner.

Table of Contents
Definition of a Formal Letter
Structure of a Formal Letter – Types of Formal Letters
Writing a Formal Letter – Parts of a Formal Letter
Formal Letter Writing Samples
FAQs on Formal Letter Writing Format in English

Definition of a Formal Letter
Formal Letters, also called Business Letters or Professional Letters, are letters that are written in a strict and specific format. Formal letters are naturally much more formal in style than informal/friendly letters. Formal letters can be written for a number of reasons such as,

to express your concerns while working in a professional setup
to provide official information across your workspace
to order goods, to apply for employment, etc.
to the Editor of a newspaper addressing the problems faced by various groups of people in different areas, etc.

Structure of a Formal Letter
In order to be able to write a formal letter, you have to first understand the reason behind the letter. As far as formal letters are concerned, the structure of the letter changes depending on the type of letter. There are certain rules to be followed to be able to draft a formal letter. Every sentence should be well thought out and laid down in such a way that the message you want to convey should be precise and clear to the reader.

Types of Formal Letters
There are different types of formal letters, as discussed, and they can generally be labelled under the following terms:

Business Letters
Letters of Application
Letters to Newspapers

Business letters should be terse, clear and to the point. There is no room for any kind of stories in a business letter. Before you start to write a business letter, there are a few things you should keep in mind.

Use simple, everyday language to convey the message clearly instead of using flamboyant and overemphatic vocabulary.
Never use jargon that is commonly used in business when you write a business letter.
Avoid using abbreviations as much as possible.
The modes of address vary according to the type of letter and the receiver.
Clear and exact descriptions of the articles necessary with the expected quality and quantity should be listed with utmost care when you write a letter to order goods.
When replying to a business letter, always quote the date of the letter you are responding to and its reference numbers (if any).

Formal/Business letters include letters from an employer to the employees and vice versa, letters to order and replace goods, letters of serious concern to an officer of higher rank, letters of complaint, etc.

حسن خليل 23-10-22 11:08 AM

Letters of Application
Letters of Application usually consist of letters applying for employment. Before and after you write a letter of application, make sure you check for the following:

Always start with a short introduction stating whether the applicant is writing in response to a reference from an advertisement found online or in the newspaper.
State the age, education and experience of the applicant.
Provide the employer with a genuine expression of the applicant’s earnestness in taking up the job in the respective company.
Also, furnish references so that the employer can gather an idea of the kind of employee you would be.
Letters of Application should follow the format of formal/business letters.

Letters to Newspapers
Always address these letters to ‘The Editor’ and end with ‘Yours faithfully’. Letters to the Editor are letters that express concerns that should be addressed to the higher authorities. These letters should be professional and authentic. No newspaper would publish anonymous letters, so make sure you are writing the letter for a cause and provide your name and address correctly.

الساعة الآن 07:15 AM.